Railway Bridge Near Serquigny, France, on the Main Line from Caen to Rouen Constructed by 6 Railway Construction and Maintenance Group RE.
Total demolition of a bridge carrying two main lines over a river was carried out with such thoroughness that the original piers, foundations and steelwork were very extensively shattered. The total gap was Ioo ft.
The new bridge consisted of the repair and erection of I6 ft of the original plate girders. The remainder of the gap was filled by causeway construction consisting of 36 in diameter armco culverting concreted in and superimposed by a 9 in reinforced concrete slab.
Work commenced 1st September, 1944, the single line was opened for traffic on 9th September, 1944, and double line on 18th September, 1944.