Total of aircraft which took-off :
346 Hurricanes & 382 Spitfires
Total of aircraft which landed in Malta:
323 Hurricanes & 362 Spitfires
Aircraft Code: A = Albacore, H = Hurricane, Hd = Hudson, B = Blenheim, S = Spitfire, Sk = Skua
1) GUIDES: Skuas and Fulmars took-off from the aircraft-carriers with the fighters but the Blenheims and Hudsons came from Gibraltar. All landed safely at Malta unless otherwise stated.
2) HURRY: One Hurricane crashed while landing.
3) HURRY: One Skua crashed while landing.
4) WHITE: 8 Hurricanes ran out of fuel en-route and fell in the sea.
5) WHITE: One Skua crashed in Sicily.
6) WINCH: One Hurricane crashed while landing.
7) DUNLOP: One Hurricane crashed en-route.
9) SPLICE: One Fulmar returned to Ark Royal and one crashed at sea.
10) SPLICE: Flight of 6 Hurricanes cancelled due to delays in the previous take-offs.
11) SPLICE: One Hurricane crashed en-route.
12) SPLICE: One Fulmar crashed en-route.
13) ROCKET: Flight of one Hurricane cancelled due to defects.
14) TRACER: Flight of one Hurricane cancelled due to defects.
15) TRACER: 2 Hurricanes crashed en-route and 2 crashed while landing.
16) RAILWAY I: One Hurricane crashed en-route and one crashed while landing.
17) RAILWAY II: One Hurricane crashed on take-off; this accident injured 6 other pilots who were watching (see 18).
One Hurricane might have crashed while landing, reducing the number that landed safely to 34.
18) RAILWAY II: Flight of 6 Hurricanes cancelled due to injury to the pilots (see 17).
19) STATUS I: Flight of 12 Hurricanes cancelled because only 2 of the navigation Blenheims turned-up.
20) STATUS I: Only 2 Blenheims came.
21) STATUS II: One Hurricane crashed on take-off from Furious.
22) PERPETUAL I: 3 Hurricanes crashed en-route.
23) PERPETUAL II: Cancelled, due to loss of Ark Royal.
24) SPOTTER (First): Operation aborted on the 27th due to faulty fuel pumps in overload tanks of the Spitfires.
25) SPOTTER: Flight of one Spitfire cancelled due to defects.
26) PICKET: Flight of 7 Spitfires cancelled because only 2 of the navigation Blenheims turned-up.
27) PICKET: Only 2 Blenheims came.
29) CALENDAR: Flight of 3 Spitfires cancelled due to defects.
30) CALENDAR: One Spitfire defected to Algeria en-route.
31) BOWERY: Flight of 3 Spitfires cancelled due to defects.
32) BOWERY: One Spitfire crashed on take-off from Wasp, one landed back on Wasp, 2 crashed en-route and one crashed while landing.
33) L B: All 6 Albacores returned to Eagle due to overheating engine (wrong setting of air-cooler).
34) STYLE: One Spitfire crashed on take-off, 4 were shot down by Me109s near Pantelleria, and one crashed while landing.
35) SALIENT: One Spitfire crashed while landing.
36) PINPOINT: One Spitfire crashed on take-off.
37) INSECT: Flight of one Spitfire cancelled due to damage suffered in a collision with an AA gun mounting.
38) INSECT :One Spitfire crashed on take-off.
39) BELLOWS: Flight of one Spitfire cancelled due to defects.
40) BELLOWS: One Spitfire aborted its flight and landed back on the Indomitable.
41) BARITONE: Flight of one Spitfire cancelled because its pilot was injured when another Spitfire crashed on take-off (see 42).
42) BARITONE; One Spitfire crashed on take-off, 2 aborted their flight due to defects (undercarriage failed to retract) and abandoned the aircraft, and one crashed while landing.
43) TRAIN: Flight of 3 Spitfires cancelled due to defects.
Of the 43 fighters that commenced the take-off run but failed to land safely:-
Crashed during take-off: 7 (2 Hurricanes & 5 Spitfires)
Lost en-route: 24 (16 Hurricanes & 8 Spitfires)
Landed back on an aircraft-carrier: 2 (2 Spitfires)
Defected to Algeria: 1 (1 Spitfire)
Crashed while landing: 9 (5 Hurricanes & 4 Spitfires)
NOTE: A number of Swordfish and Albacore torpedo-bombers were also delivered to Malta from aircraft-carriers. These deliveries were normally carried-out in conjunction with convoy operations, except Operation Callboy which was carried-out on 18th October 1941, specifically to deliver 11 Albacores and 2 Swordfish aircraft.