49th Engineer Combat Battalion of the 1106th Engineer Combat

• sf11dude
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #1197 by sf11dude
49th Engineer Combat Battalion of the 1106th Engineer Combat
I came across Marion's response (she adminsters the 6th Corps Engineer and the 49th ECB thread was started with me asking her to post information on my grandfather's unit); anyway I wanted to send you a URL to Amazon for a book I put together from the NARA records of the 49th because I too had read where others were going to put together a book and never did (to my knowledge) so I did.

I titled the book "Ghost Battalion" because no one ever wrote or heard of the 49th ECB although they were in all the major campaigns from Utah Beach on D-day through VE day, leaving in October 1945 from Camp Washington near Laon, France.

My grandfather was wounded March 2, 1945 in Elsdorf, Germany, he was with H&S 49th Engineer Combat Battalion. This book contains all the names, places, events and actions as recorded by the 49th ECB themselves.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Battalion-Bill-Carr/dp/0557219205/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339007048&sr=8-1

Please Login to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #881 by fredvogels
49th engineers
clayton

My father, Bob Walter, served with the 49th. Your grandfather's name rings a bell with me and I am almost certain they served together. Over the past several years I have had contact with a number of people, including one who was going to write a book[his father too was with the 49th] . nothing came of it as far as I know. I can put you in touch with some of them if you like.

Bruce walter

More
13 years 6 months ago #171 by fredvogels
fredvogels created the topic: 49th Engineer Combat Battalion of the 1106th Engineer Combat
To whom it may concern,

My name is Clayton Ferguson, a 25 year old grandson of a Normandy Invasion veteran by the name of Curt Ferguson. My grandfather is still alive today and I visit with him regularly. He served in the 49th Engineer Combat Battalion of the 1106th Engineer Combat Group, landing on Utah Beach the morning of D-Day. I have searched the web over for any information, pics, stories, bio's just whatever I can find on the 49th E.C.B. and have not been able to find much of anything. I was just needing suggestions on what direction to turn my attention towards in finding the information I need to find. Beyond this request, his war's story is most excellent having had his brother jump in the night before with the 501st P.I.R. of the 101st airborne, both of them taking the war all the way to Germany and both of them coming home alive. I wonder how difficult it may be to record/submit his stories, photos, so that they are not forgotten in history. If you can be of any help at all, please, reply and tell me all about it. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Clayton Ferguson
[email protected]